The West Virginia Association of School Nurses (WVASN) strategic plan governs the actions of the WVASN Board and its membership through the next four years. This plan will be monitored and may be revised yearly if indicated.
EDUCATION; WVASN will promote the practice of school nursing in West Virginia by assisting West Virginia school nurses in developing and utilizing evidence-based practices to promote health and wellness in students and staff.
1. Endorse and promote the core values of the National Association of School Nurses (NASN) and utilize the NASN standards of practice.
2. Develop and promote educational opportunities both in-person or online through NASN, WVASN, West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) and other applicable partners and affiliates.
3. Offer Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) at WVASN conferences, events, and through other applicable affiliate offerings which are relevant to trends and issues in school health.
4. Collaborate with educational institutions to provide graduate credit.
5. Collaborate with the Coordinator of School Nurses at the West Virginia Department of Education to communicate CEU offerings from health-related organizations and agencies to West Virginia school nurses via the list serve.
6. Collaborate with West Virginia Council of School Nurses concerning current issues and evidence-based practice in school health.
7. Encourage school nurses to engage in evidence-based research.
8. WVASN will promote awareness of research grant opportunities through WVASN and NASN via the web page and at the annual conference.
9. Encourage all West Virginia school nurses to receive national certification.
ADVOCACY; WVASN will advocate and promote that all students have access to a full time certified school nurse all day, every day as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and NASN.
1. WVASN and its members will increase public and legislative awareness of current West Virginia school nurse ratios.
2. Educate the public, local and state BOE and state legislators of the complex health needs of West Virginia students utilizing data provided by, but not limited to, the WV School Nurse Needs Assessment.
3. At each legislative session provide written data to state representatives about issues that are of importance to school nurses and to the students and families they serve. Collaborate with Departments of Health, Education, and Welfare to promote favorable legislation on school health issues.
4. Communicate relevant information to legislators, government agencies, and other stakeholders in school health issues.
5. Provide opportunities for school nurses to learn legislative skills.
6. Strive to collaborate with legislators to introduce legislation that will enhance the practice of school nursing for the health and welfare of West Virginia children.
ORGANIZATION; WVASN will work to strengthen the association and to provide the structure and leadership for advancing school health in West Virginia.
1. Maintain an organizational structure that meets the needs of West Virginia’s certified school nurses. Collaborate with the WVDE to promote health and wellness in all students and staff. Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders in school health.
2. Recruit and actively retain members.
3. Remain an affiliate state of the National Association of School Nurses (NASN).
4. Elect the State Director on a schedule consistent with NASN.
5. Provide financial assistance for the NASN director to attend NASN board meetings and applicable annual conference sessions.
6. Review and update organization procedures and by-laws as necessary. Review the strategic plan every four years, and revise if indicated.
7. WVASN will be a fiscally stable organization, prepare an annual budget, and monitor and manage sufficient funds to meet the goals of the organization.
8. Obtain income through membership growth and retention, conferences, and other fund raisers.
9. Plan annual conferences that are self-supporting and review the evaluations submitted by attendees of conferences.
10. Seek grant or funds from the public and private sector to provide educational offerings and monies for special projects. Collaborate with community agencies and organizations to broaden resources available to the school community.
11. Tax forms will be prepared annually and submitted as required by the I.R.S.
12. Use electronic communication when appropriate.